Health Insurance

Health Insurance

All registered international students are automatically enrolled in the Foreign Health Insurance plan. For more information, please visit:

If you are eligible for the Newfoundland and Labrador provincial health care plan - Medical Care Plan (MCP), you can apply and obtain a MCP card.

With a valid MCP, you may opt out of the Foreign Health Insurance plan and opt into one of the student union plans (MISU Health & Dental for diploma/certificate and undergraduate degree students; GSU Health & Dental for graduate degree students). Deadlines to opt in and out of insurance plans usually take place during the second week of classes each semester. IMPORTANT NOTE: student union plans are supplementary to MCP, so please ensure your MCP does not expire while enrolled in a student union plan.

Please note that health insurance plans from outside Canada are generally not accepted as alternate coverage.

During work terms, please ensure you have the appropriate coverage. If you have a valid MCP and your work term will take place outside this province or Canada, you should apply for Out-of-Province coverage. Please check with the MI International Student Coordinator or the Internationalization Office (IO) for further clarifications.