Can I opt out of the student health plan? How?

Students who are covered under a similar plan held by a parent or spouse may opt out of the plan upon proof of coverage. Certain deadlines/restrictions do apply.

Please contact the Marine Institute Student Union for further details.

Where can I get a student loan application?

For information on the Canada-Newfoundland Student Loans Program and to get an online application visit the Department of Education website.

Student Financial Services Division can be contacted by:

Email: studentaid@gov.nl.ca
Telephone: (709) 729-5849 or
IVR 1-888-657-0800 (toll free) and
(709) 729-4244 (local)
Fax: (709) 729-2298
Office Location: Coughlan College
Memorial University
St. John's campus
Business Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
(4:00 PM during the summer)
Mailing Address: Student Financial Services Division
Department of Education
P.O. Box. 8700
St. John's, NL, A1B 4J6

For applicants from provinces outside Newfoundland please contact the Student or Financial Aid office for your province.

How do I register?

For a detailed outline of registration procedures please refer to the Online Registration procedures.

What happens if I can't / don't pay my fees on time?

The fees payment deadline for students in diploma programmes is the first day of classes in the term. The fees payment deadline for students in certificate or industry-response programmes or courses is the date of registration.

All overdue accounts will be subject to a late payment penalty. The late payment penalty is $15 per course up to a maximum of $75 per term or session.

Students with outstanding accounts for any reason will be ineligible to register for a subsequent semester until the outstanding account has been paid in full by cash, debit, cheque, money order or Master Card.

Students with outstanding fees will not be awarded a diploma or certificate, and will not be issued an academic transcript of marks until the outstanding account has been paid in full. All issues related to overdue fees are dealt with using the discretion of the Marine Institute Finance Office.

How do I get a Marine Institute Computer Account?

How to get your Marine Institute Computer Account

When can students apply for parking permits?

How to apply for Parking Permits

How can I get a locker?

Students can rent a locker for $20.00 for one year. At the end of the school year, students are required to return their lock to receive a $10.00 refund. Failure to do so will result in the loss of the $10.00 refundable deposit.

Lockers are available to students from the Campus Store.

How can I apply and what is the deadline?

Applications for Admission can be found on our Apply Now page.

The application deadlines are as follows:

  • For Canadian Students: April 15th
  • For International Students: March 1st

*Please note: Joint Diplomas of Technology/Bachelor of Technology, Diplomas of Technology and Technical Certificates have a fall intake only.

What is the cost to attend the Marine Institute?

Please see the Programs and Fees page for details.

Where can I live while studying at the Marine Institute?

Marine Institute students have several choices in accommodations.

You can stay at Paton College, a residence type complex which has double and single rooms and a dining hall. Burton's Pond is another option, which contains apartments shared by four students. Both residences are located on Memorial University's campus, about 3 kilometres from the institute, and are served by the city's transportation system.

There is also the option of living off- campus, the Student Affairs Office (W3013) can provide help and guidance in finding appropriate off campus housing. Find out more about housing on Memorial's campus.

For a residence application, brochures or to request a tour of residence accommodations, please contact:

Housing, Food and Conference Services
Main Office, Coughlan College
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NF
A1B 3P7
Telephone: (709)864-7590
Fax: (790)864-3520
E-mail: housing@mun.ca

Does the Marine Institute have a Scholarship Program?

The Marine Institute Scholarship programme is made up of internally and externally administered scholarships. There are normally two scholarship presentations in an academic year, one in November and the other in March.

To be considered for a scholarship, students must apply for scholarships each term, application deadlines will be posted. One application form covers all scholarships and awards administered by the Marine Institute Committee on scholarships.

Students may be required to submit additional application forms to be considered for externally administered scholarships, for more information please contact the Student Affairs Office W3013 or reference the Academic Calendar.

What recreational facilities do the Marine Institute Offer?

While studying at the Marine Institute, be sure to take advantage of our large, well-equipped gymnasium, exercise rooms, weight room, with change and shower rooms.

You may also want to take advantage of a variety of intramural and recreational programs in softball, floor hockey, basketball and volleyball. Individual and group bookings for recreational activities may be made through the Recreation Director's office, Room E2054.

MI students can also access The Works, Memorial University's on campus fitness and recreation complex.